"This source code is unmaintainable; what do I do?" That's
a question more frequently asked than answered. After a couple
of decades of software hygiene, I know what I do:
- Do no harm
- Protect customers' value [celebrate]
- Set up systems [conf man; regression testing]
- ... [language dependence and independence]
- mechanical transforms. happy accidents (factorization
- when is it easier to do things right?
- Set up systems
- ... [remodularize]
- comments ... professionalism ... examples
- engineering: cohesion and connectivity. excessive length
- engineering: factor common functionality.
eliminate dead code, especially dead variables. segmentation
- objectification: physical segmentation (files, ...) of
globals. After: good time to re-do data flow from globals
- idioms. global-static-const-configuration. perspectives
of components-glue-objects-functions. idiom links.
Laird's personal guide to